At Philosophy from Sarah Lawrence College through conference work, students also find numerous ways to connect the study of philosophy with their interests in the arts and natural sciences.
Stressing the great tradition of classical and contemporary philosophy, the College offers three types of philosophy courses: those organized around thematic topics, such as Philosophy of Science, Aesthetics, and Philosophy and Literature; those organized historically, such as Moral Philosophy, Political Philosophy, and 20th-Century Philosophy; and those that study the “systems” of philosophers such as Kant, Nietzsche, and Wittgenstein.
Graduates with Philosophy from Sarah Lawrence College will:
- establish in-depth relationships with the thoughts of the great philosophers and to “do philosophy”
- prepare for graduate work in philosophy.
- think through and write on single philosophic and literary works, ranging from Greek tragedy, comedy, or epic to Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Descartes, Shakespeare, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, or Heidegger.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Philosophy Through Film
- The First Philosophers
- Spinoza’s Ethics: A Philosopher’s Guide to Life
- The Philosophy of Tragedy: Electras
- Ethics and Moral Philosophy
- Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art
- Discipline and Sexuality: Reading Michel Foucault
- Nietzsche: The Philosophical Personality
- Ancient Philosophy (Plato)
- Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 885 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application
- School Report & Transcripts. Transcripts must be translated to English, and the original language document must also be provided.
- TOEFL/IELTS (for international applicants)
- Applicants for whom English is not the native language should take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Two letters of recommendation from academic teachers.
- Standardized tests (such as the ACT and SAT), interviews, and artistic supplements are optional.
International56020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56020 USD per year during 48 months.
National56020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56020 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.