Whether one seeks a career in broadcasting, journalism, public relations, advertising, government service, community development, law, business, teaching or the ministry, the ability to communicate is essential.
For more than 2000 years, the study of communication was the study of rhetoric. Our rhetorical communication track connects students to the roots of communication study while keeping the conversation relevant and current. Together, we apply rhetorical theory to contemporary forms of delivering messages.
The rhetorical communication major is designed to help students construct effective and ethically responsible messages appropriate to scholar-servants. In the church, workplace and community, such speakers play a critical role in creating solutions to problems, defending the rights of the oppressed and improving the lives of fellow humans.
Choosing to concentrate study in rhetorical communication means choosing to explore the rich past traditions and future inspirations of the field—the power of language and ideas to shape communities and nations. Rhetoric students wrestle with the principles of persuasion, reasoning and ethics as well as newly encountering the great rhetorical achievements of societies past and present. The study of rhetoric also helps students become more discerning message consumers.
Why Communication - Rhetorical Communication at Houghton College ?
- Receive personal attention from faculty in small lab-media classes featuring Adobe Creative Cloud-based instruction.
- Gain real-world experience through our solid internship program and other off-campus opportunities.
- Develop your most compelling visual communication ideas with the best tools available in our state-of-the-art Macintosh Media Arts Lab.
- Explore your gifts in a wide range of areas by employing the strong connections we have with other academic departments.
- Dive deeper into your interests with opportunities for faculty/student collaboration on independent projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intro to Communication Theory
- Interpersonal Communication
- Foundations of Digital Comm
- Advanced Presentational Speaking
- American Public Address
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 1059 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.