What mass media scholars sometimes call "the public conversation" has never been a more exciting and diverse cultural space. The media arts and visual communication major is a unique combination of media theory, critical analysis and cultural application combined with practical creative work focusing on digital media tools.
To make visual media that is effective, creative and ethical, critical analysis and cross-disciplinary connections are essential. Our program emphasizes informed and thoughtful development of visual media-making including new forms of creation, distribution and social engagement outside traditional structures, such as video blogs and digital storytelling. Students can also explore independent cinema, internet and interactive media, alternative political or social speech, media and performance art, documentary from a personal viewpoint, and storytelling/folklore.
Why Major in Communication - Media Arts and Visual Communication at Houghton College?
- Creative studio classes include video production, Photoshop, animation, 3D modeling, graphic design, photography, sound recording and more.
- Receive personal attention from faculty in small lab-media classes featuring Adobe Creative Cloud-based instruction.
- Gain real-world experience through our solid internship program and other off-campus opportunities.
- Develop your most compelling visual communication ideas with the best tools available in our state-of-the-art Macintosh Media Arts Lab.
- Explore your gifts in a wide range of areas by employing the strong connections we have with other academic departments.
- Dive deeper into your interests with opportunities for faculty/student collaboration on independent projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Comm Theory
- Interpersonal Communication
- Seminar in Public Communication
- Graphic Design
- Intro to Digital Imaging
- Intro to Digital Video
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Communication Sciences Media Studies & Mass Media View 1958 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.