First, the French Program at The City University of New York strives to teach students to speak, read, and write a language other than English and to use that language to apprehend and respond to the cultures appertaining to these languages. Our students are trained to identify, discuss, and analyze the foundations of the French and Francophone literatures and to attain a deeper understanding of different literary periods, their most representative works and their authors.
Additionally, the program strives to make the students understand the historical development of one or more non-US societies, the historical evolution of the French language, its culture, and its society and establish a connection with today's global societies. The French Program also aims to equip the students with the grammatical, linguistic, and cultural knowledge required for their professional careers through a variety of courses.
- Obtain general knowledge of main French literature periods and movements through a given historical period, its most representative masterpieces and their authors.
- Obtain general knowledge of key authors and works of literature from the Caribbean, North African and Sub-Saharan Francophone countries.
- Understand the orthography, morphology, and syntax, and literary forms used in a variety of French and Creole texts and popular cultural resources.
- Analyze the role of history and colonialism in the emergence of a literature written in French, outside of France.
- Develop communication skills in both speaking and writing in French as well as in Creole.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Literary Theory
- Advanced Composition and Grammar
- French Linguistics
- Survey of French Literature
- Literature of the French West Indies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages View 1969 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- High School Transcript or proof of High School Equivalency degree
- College, University and/or Proprietary School Transcript (transfers only)
- Standardized Test Scores
- Recommendations, Personal Statements, and other supporting materials
- Supplemental Application for Selective Programs
International18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18600 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18600 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State6930 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6930 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.