The Cinematic Arts program at the Houston Baptist University states that taking advantage of developing technology, the curriculum is uniquely focused on new opportunities available to filmmakers, media producers and storytellers in the 21st century.
The program offers students ample opportunities for practical, hands-on experience coupled with mentorship from experienced faculty members. All of this is designed to prepare students for a variety of pursuits, including filmmaking, journalism, video games and emerging opportunities in new media and technology.
The BFA in Cinematic Arts provides students a comprehensive education in filmmaking and video production. In addition to the foundational CNMA classes, our Cinematic Arts students take multiple classes within specific areas of specialization, such as screenwriting, directing, editing or cinematography.
The degree also offers numerous classes in film history and theory designed to provide students important foundations for their artistic work. The final year of the Cinematic Arts degree is focused on faculty-directed practicums and a two-semester Senior Project designed to showcase the student’s best cinematic skills.
Advantages and Opportunities
- While grounded in the rich heritage of the medium, our priority is giving students the knowledge and resources to be able to harness today’s technology to create beautiful, successful cinematic work.
- We prepare students for a wide-range of job opportunities. Most film programs are focused exclusively on work in the Hollywood studio system, but we recognize that media is now all around us, and the need for talented multimedia artists is equally broad. Students will be exposed to a plethora of potential careers and given the necessary training for the trajectory of their choice.
- Students interested in a career in the studio system can take summer internships or spend a semester studying in Hollywood, thanks to partnerships we have with universities and programs in Southern California. For the rest of their education, students can benefit from the first-class academic programs at Houston Baptist University as well as the incredibly rich cultural environment in the surrounding area — from the thriving city of Houston to the independent film hub of Austin.
- Our program is built around one-on-one mentorship by faculty members who are active filmmakers and media producers themselves. We believe that, in order to stay sharp, artists must continually practice their craft, so in addition to the usual research and publishing, our Cinema & New Media Arts faculty are actively creating films, web series, video games and other media. Students are often invited to take part in this work, apprenticing and learning from our experienced faculty and staff.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Video Production
- Cinematic Core Principles
- Art of Storytelling
- Media & Careers Survey
- Collaboration & Communication
- Writing for Cinema & New Media
- Cinematography & Production
- Producing for Cinema & New Media
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 1982 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Show proof of sufficient English skills
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and/or ACT scores, OR
- Completion of two (2) classes of collegiate English taken in the United States
- Certificate of completion from Language Consultants International (ESL program)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education whose instruction is conducted in English.
International32350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32350 USD per year during 48 months.
National32350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32350 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.