We offer a bachelor degree in Art at the California Institute of the Arts CalArts. The curriculum begins with a series of courses in which students investigate various media, art-historical traditions and theoretical positions, providing a strong foundation to individualized studio practice.
- Additional coursework includes a combination of seminars, group critique classes and independent studies. With the guidance of faculty mentors, students can concentrate on those areas that best serve their personal goals.
- By the third year in residence, undergraduates are expected to pursue independent studio projects. Beginning undergraduates share studios while most upper-level undergraduates work in individual studios.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Encompassing both studio practice and theory, a primary concern of the Art Program is that every artist be challenged to develop a critical self-awareness about their work and to better understand the aesthetic, social and intellectual contexts that inform artmaking in today's globalized world.
- Both the undergraduate and graduate tracks offer instruction in a wide range of media, including installation, video, film, writing, performance, painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, digital imaging and sculpture.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 2221 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit Your Application and Portfolio
- All transcripts should be uploaded to the application directly on the Academic History section prior to submitting. Applicants should plan ahead and request transcripts as soon as they decide to apply to CalArts.
- Two letters of recommendation are required for BFA programs. At least one recommendation should be written by a person who understands your artistic work. Many MFA programs require three letters of recommendation (please see program-specific requirements in the portfolio/audition section).
International52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 48 months.
National52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for California
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.