Students of the Art Education program from Black Hills State University with the technical skill and cultural awareness essential to the careers of professional artists, scholars or teachers. Seminars on specialized topics, a schedule of visiting artists, trips to major cities, and study abroad possibilities all enrich students study of Studio Art at Black Hills State University.
Studio Art students have access to newly updated studio facilities, private studio spaces, and close mentoring from the art faculty. We integrate formal art concepts with contemporary theory and fundamental practice while using digital media and contemporary technologies in our curriculum. Coursework includes that practice as well as discussion and critiques with faculty, advisers, and visiting artists. Exhibition and installation spaces are readily available throughout campus and the community of Spearfish.
The faculty of the Department of Fine Art is comprised of nationally and internationally recognized artists and scholars with artistic practice and research that spans a broad range of media and disciplines. Dedicated to educating the next generation of artists, award-winning teachers prioritize mentorship, offering students individual attention, small class sizes and private studio spaces.
Most course work in the programs of study are practice-based studio courses. Studio classes are typically capped at 18-20 students. All studio areas also have classes that are open to non-majors. Three-credit courses normally meet in class for three hours weekly for 15 weeks of fall and spring semester; another six hours of work is expected outside class. Studio areas are open and accessible, and private studios are available on an application bases.
Shape The Future Of Contemporary Art
The Department of Studio Art provides students with the technical skill and cultural awareness essential to the careers of professional artists, scholars or teachers.
Studio Art students have access to the following resources and opportunities:
- Visiting artist program through a variety of lectures, live demonstrations, exhibitions, and studio visits
- Private studio spaces with after-hours access
- Newly updated studio facilities equipped for painting, drawing, ceramics, printmaking, letterpress, 3D printing, digital art, and more
- Close mentorship opportunities with a faculty of nationally and internationally recognized artists and scholars
- Trips to major cities & study abroad possibilities
- Art exhibitions in one of the various campus galleries and opportunities to participate in calls for artists
- Three-Dimensional Design
- Design Concepts in Crafts Media
- Drawing - Figurative
- Ceramics Techniques
- Art & Technology
- Printmaking Techniques
- Visual Arts
- History of World Art
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Visual Arts View 3809 other Bachelors in Education in United States
Complete the following high school courses with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of math (algebra or higher level)
- 3 years of laboratory science
- 3 years of social science
- 1 year of fine arts
Students must meet one of the following admissions requirements:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6
- Minimum composite ACT of 18 (SAT score of 970 or above)
- Rank in the top 60% of high school class
International9723 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9723 USD per year during 48 months.
National11742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11742 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State8672 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8672 USD per year during 48 months.
WY, CO, MT, ND, NE, IA Residents (In-State Tuition): $ 8,672
Living costs for Spearfish
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.