We recognize that students may be interested in specific disciplines, so the performing arts major has three tracks — dance, music and theatre. We also offer minors in dance, music, musical theatre and theatre.
What is distinctive about studying the performing arts at Sweet Briar?
- For more than 40 years, the Dance major at Sweet Briar College has drawn on traditional and contemporary dance techniques — including aerial — combined with intensive training in choreography.
- The culminating capstone dance project lets students choreograph, produce and perform a full-length concert for the community — an experience students at large universities often do not encounter until graduate school.
- Music faculty believe proficiency in musicology and performance are equally important, so the curriculum balances historical/cultural, theoretical/analytical and applied (solo and ensemble) studies.
- Students interested in teaching can choose a track toward teacher licensure in dance or theatre arts.
- Sweet Briar Theatre produces works from all genres, including musicals, Shakespeare and contemporary plays. Murchison Lane Auditorium is a fine proscenium theater for large musicals and productions, while our Studio Theatre is perfect for small, intimate performances.
- Upper-level theatre-track students may direct, design or write their own plays. Male roles are played by experienced actors from the community, so that students are part of a network by the time they graduate.
- Sweet Briar’s close connection to the nearby Virginia Center for the Creative Arts brings in working artists who interact with students.
- Sweet Briar hosts professional theater and dance shows from around the country throughout the academic year.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ballet Technique
- Jazz Dance Technique
- Creatives in Dance
- Contemporary Dance Technique
- Community Dance Performance
- Choreography and Improvisation
- Dance History
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Rolling Admission after December 2 (decisions and financial aid notifications mailed on a rolling basis after December 2)
DisciplinesLiberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 1333 other Bachelors in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application. Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Verified official scores from at least one of the following with an acceptable minimum score. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Please note: International students whose first language is English or who have attended an exclusively English-language school for at least four years do not need to submit a language exam.
- A standardized test is optional. Sweet Briar accepts either the SAT or ACT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT and TOEFL code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Official copies of all high school transcripts (or equivalent) and college course transcripts (if applicable) in English.
International21900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per year during 48 months.
National21900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.