The area of English at Jackson State University has established these major objectives:
- To help students develop the ability to read, think, and write clearly and critically.
- To help students understand and appreciate good writing and literature.
- To help students become aware of the truth, beauty, and wisdom of our culture to the extent that they are able to make value judgments about the society in which they live.
- To prepare students for teaching English and for other career roles in society.
- To provide the necessary courses for all students to fulfill state and university requirements.
- To encourage students to engage in creative and scholarly writing.
In addition to the English Proficiency Examination required of all students, and the examination demanded by courses in the English/MFL disciplines, the competencies of undergraduate English majors are determined by the following:
- Senior Seminar – A one-semester course which tests ability in grammar and usage, oral presentations, writing critical analyses and research.
- Student Teaching – Majors in English with certification in teaching (Teacher Certification majors).
- PRAXIS Examination (formerly NTE) – Majors in English with certification in teaching (Teacher Certification majors).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- World Literature
- The Literature of Science
- The Law in Literature I: Humanities and Criminal Justice
- Humanities for English and Mass Communication Majors
- Professional Writing
- Survey of the Elements of Fiction
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 2828 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- American College Test (ACT) score of 16 or higher or equivalent combined Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT, excluding writing).
- An official evaluation of international academic high school credentials from an accepted service agency (e.g., World Education Services, Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., Educational Credential Evaluators, International Education Evaluations, Inc.)
- Proof of English Proficiency
International845 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 845 USD per credit during 48 months.
National845 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 845 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State345 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 345 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Jackson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.