The Department of Philosophy at Lewis and Clark College is firmly committed to a diverse and inclusive community in which productive critical inquiry can occur. We believe that everyone ought to be able to examine our lives including race, gender, sexual preference, ethnicity or class. We are also actively striving to improve the legacy of our discipline in a variety of ways.
The Philosophy department joined with other Philosophy departments in the Northwest and received a Mellon grant to investigate the ways in which Philosophy is integral to work on diversity and inclusion.
Upon graduation, Philosophy majors at Lewis & Clark College will be able to:
- Identify and assess claims by critically determining the logical relations between them; specifically, by identifying premises and conclusions and whether those arguments are sound or cogent,
- Identify philosophical puzzles and problems; recognize kinds of philosophical claims (e.g. metaphysical vs. epistemological) and their relationships,
- Appreciate the value of philosophical thinking, reading, interpretation, and the dialogue it provides,
- Identify and appreciate different forms of value (e.g. instrumental vs. intrinsic; moral vs. non-moral),
- Use standard philosophical tools and methods including conceptual analysis and thought experiments,
- Use criteria to assess the relative merits of competing theories such as coherence, consistency, conservativeness, simplicity, predictive success, and common sense,
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Philosophy of Art and Beauty
- Indian Philosophy
- Philosophical Methods
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts View 881 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Secondary School Report
- Teacher Recommendation completed by a teacher who has taught you in an academic course (English, mathematics, science, foreign language, history, or social studies) in 10th-12th grade
- Personal essay/statement
- Leadership, community service and work experience, and extracurricular involvements
- Expressed interest in the college or personal interview (interviews are recommended, but not required)
- SAT or ACT scores, if submitted. Please see our Test-Optional Policy.
International54832 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54832 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54832 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54832 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.