Courses at Humanities at Reed College acquaint students with poetry, drama, painting, sculpture, music, religion, philosophical systems, forms of political and social order, and historical works.
Students are encouraged to think about course materials in their cultural contexts and from the perspective of a variety of individual disciplines. For instance, in the plays of Aeschylus the handling of aristocratic legends reflects the contemporary political concern with tyranny, as in the Agamemnon, and with the substitution of city justice for blood revenge, as in the Eumenides.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- The Renaissance World and the Birth of Modernity
- Modern European Humanities
- Foundations of Chinese Civilization
- Senior Symposium
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature View 1967 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application
- Reed Writing Supplement
- Self-reported SAT or ACT scores if available (neither will be used in our evaluation)
- School Report (completed by your counselor; this form is available through the Common Application)
- Counselor recommendation
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (for any college you have attended, whether or not you want credit for those courses at Reed)
- Two Teacher Evaluations (from two different academic disciplines; must be different from the counselor recommendation, as well)
- Early Decision Agreement
- (ED I and ED II applicants only, must be signed by the applicant, parent/guardian, and high school counselor)
International62420 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62420 USD per year during 48 months.
National62420 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62420 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.