About the Program
Thinking about studying musical theatre at Emerson? Then start by imagining the end point: Every graduating senior winds up performing on a New York City stage in our annual one-of-a-kind autumn showcase. Your audience? Industry reps, directors, producers, and noted Emerson alumni.
Will you be ready at that moment? To answer, let’s go back to the start of your studies.
Nestled in the heart of Boston’s Theater District, the Musical Theatre program of Emerson College is one of the most celebrated pre-professional performance programs in the nation. From the first day, you will be challenged and coached by a distinguished faculty holding credits from Broadway, regional theater, opera, television, film, and composition. You will take risks in front of demanding teachers and supportive fellow students as you develop your talent for acting, singing, and dancing.
You will experience rich performance opportunities through Emerson Stage, the College’s producing organization that serves as your laboratory for studio development. In classrooms, studios, and stage, you will work out the kinks, project your personality, and learned to move audiences with your performance. Many of these experiences will take place in Emerson’s glorious performance spaces, like the art deco Robert J. Orchard Stage at the Paramount Center and the magnificent 1,200-seat Cutler Majestic Theatre.
As part of the BFA, you may audition during the year for summer positions in New York and New England and other highly regarded theatrical venues nationwide. You will also join our other exciting showcase for graduating seniors, the annual spring showcase in Boston.
By graduation, you will be ready, because Emerson’s program nurtures your inherent talent into powerful expressions of your creative voice. When you ultimately assume the New York City stage—the world stage—you will truly be able to bring your all.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses offered:
- Languages of the Stage
- Stagecraft Laboratories
- Emerson Stage Production Crew
- World Drama in its Context
- Movement and Voice
- Musical Theatre Core
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Theatre & Dance View 2255 other Bachelors in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts are required from each secondary school attended and should include courses taken and grades received in years.
- A School Report must be completed by your secondary school counselor or another school official, and must be submitted along with an official, signed transcript from your high school.
- The secondary school counselor evaluation should accompany the high school transcript and School Report.
- A minimum of one official teacher evaluation from someone who has taught you in an academic subject.
- We ask that all applicants submit first marking period (first quarter, midterm, first trimester) or mid-year (second quarter, first semester, second trimester) grades when they become available.
- Testing and English Language Proficiency Requirement.
- SAT or ACT Scores.
International50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
National50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.