You study how Islam became a fast-growing world religion and how perceptions of Muslims and Islam impact policies and conceptions of citizenship in both Muslim-majority and non-Muslim-majority countries throughout the world. Our faculty have specialized experience in Western Europe, Russia, Turkey, Bosnia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, North Africa and the Middle East.
The multidisciplinary and global focus of this Global Islamic Studies major offered by Connecticut College allows you to explore themes of migration and transnationalism, identity, religious orthodoxy and authority, and helps you develop a comprehensive understanding of the many roles played by Islam and Muslims in the unfolding human story.
Language and culture are inherently intertwined. As a Global Islamic Studies major or minor, you are required to undertake advanced language study—two semesters at the intermediate level or higher in the same language related to the focus of your GIS studies. You can choose from Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Russian, or Spanish, although another language may be selected with the approval of your faculty adviser. All majors are encouraged to become familiar with Arabic, even if it is not your primary language of study.
You will be encouraged to seek a study abroad program tailored to your particular interests. You may study in Europe, Russia, Turkey, India, Africa or the Middle East. You will also work with a team of faculty and career advisers to find or develop a skill-building internship, in the U.S. or abroad, that relates to your studies and career goals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction To Global Islamic Studies
- Middle East Politics
- Islam in global politics
- Islam And The United States
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 1858 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application
- School report: includes (1) college counselor recommendation, (2) official secondary school transcript with first term (quarter or trimester) grades for the current academic year and (3) mid-year report with updated grades as soon as they are available
- Two academic teacher recommendations (preferably from junior or senior year)
- Common Application Early Decision Agreement Form for EDI & EDII applicants (signed by ED applicant, college counselor and parent or legal guardian) submitted via your Common Application account
- If English is not your native language: the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE is required.
- All non-US citizens must submit a Certification of Finances for International Students (pdf)
International75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.