Engage in careful interpretation through close reading of literature from diverse cultures and historical periods in the English program of Gettysburg College. Become a sophisticated critical thinker and writer. Dive into fact-based research. Learn the art of principled and coherent argumentation. Write original essays, poems, stories, and plays in our creative writing courses.
Upon completion of the English major, students will demonstrate:
- a broad knowledge of literature in English from diverse cultures and historical periods;
- the ability to interpret literature through close reading and understand its place within the context of history, genre, identity, and culture;
- the ability to analyze literature through various critical and theoretical frameworks and conduct research involving both primary and secondary sources;
- the critical thinking skills needed to develop coherent arguments and then defend those arguments in clear, effective prose.
- Topics in Medieval and Renaissance Literature
- Shakespeare: the Major Plays
- Survey of English Literature: Medieval & Renaissance
- Medieval Epic Literature
- Literature and Politics in Early Modern England
- The Thief with a Heart of Gold? The Fact & Fiction of Robin Hood and the Myth of the Outlaw Hero
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 2071 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application form: Gettysburg College uses the Common Application, and students are strongly encouraged to submit their application online.
- Official secondary school records.
- Teacher recommendation.
- Counselor recommendation.
- Official SAT I or ACT scores: Official scores should be sent to the College. The institutional codes for Gettysburg College are 2275 (SAT) and 3580 (ACT).
- English language proficiency testing.
- International Student financial statement.
- Financial aid application for International Students.
- Interviews: While interviews are not required, Gettysburg College does value the opportunity to learn more about you beyond your application.
- Passport information.
International61760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 61760 USD per year during 48 months.
National61760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 61760 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Gettysburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.