As a major and department almost entirely unique to Occidental, Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture major, from the Occidental College allows you to investigate the ways in which literature uses all the devices and resources of a given language not simply to “entertain”, but more fundamentally, to open its readers and listeners up to the manifold possibilities of their world to make (and remake) the horizons of intelligibility within which the speakers of a common language ordinarily dwell.
Literature and language, of course, do not operate in isolation from a myriad of other aspects (intellectual, physical, emotional) of a culture. CSLC thus invites its students to develop, in consultation with department faculty, a collaboratively designed and fully interdisciplinary major that engages at least one specific literature and language, and one specialized external discipline, of the student’s own choosing.
As an interdisciplinary major that seeks to articulate the connection between all major forms of human cultural expression—literature, language, art, science, philosophy—CSLC provides an excellent preparation for all manner of graduate studies, and has successfully prepared students for careers in fields as diverse as education and computer gaming, law and medicine, business administration and the creative arts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Marx, Nietzsche, Freud
- Art, Nature, Self: German Romanticism
- From Kafka to Twitter: Small Forms of the Literary
- The Sickness Unto Death: Selfhood and Despair in Literature and Philosophy
- Goethe and the Art of Living
- Kleist, Kafka, and the Poetics of Madness
- Metamorphic Bodies: Fluid Forms from Ovid to Kafka
- Slavic Pagan Culture and its Legacy
- Russian Science Fiction and Fantasy
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 1872 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Oxy's Required Short Answer Questions
- School Report
- Counselor Recommendation forms
- $65 application fee or fee waiver
- Official transcript
- Standardized test scores are optional for Fall 2021 applicants.
- Midyear report after your first term of senior year.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers (in core academic subjects). Ideally, we’d like letters from 10th- to 12th-grade classes.
International55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
National55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Glendale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.