With faculty from seven departments across the campus and courses from even more majors, East Asian Languages and Cultures from the Occidental College provides an interdisciplinary and transnational approach to studying the societies and cultures of China, Japan and Korea and the region as a whole. The study of an East Asian language is foundational to the major.
Having knowledge of East Asia positions you to better understand today’s world and its complex economic, political, social and environmental challenges. Graduates will be prepared for careers in teaching, linguistics, law, history, international development, foreign service, journalism, translation and international business.
Note the College also offers Chinese Studies and Japanese Studies majors, which are intended for students primarily interested in language and literature, and much of the coursework is done in Chinese or Japanese.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Asian Immigrants in American Society
- Special Topics in Art History
- Literature, Culture, Self: Being in the Wor(l)d
- Nationalism and Ethnicity
- Junior Seminar: International Relations Theory
- Junior Seminar: Transnational Identity and International
- History Colloquium
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 1968 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Oxy's Required Short Answer Questions
- School Report
- Counselor Recommendation forms
- $65 application fee or fee waiver
- Official transcript
- Standardized test scores are optional for Fall 2021 applicants.
- Midyear report after your first term of senior year.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers (in core academic subjects). Ideally, we’d like letters from 10th- to 12th-grade classes.
International55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
National55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Glendale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.