The focus is on how the divine or ultimate is conceived. Two principal approaches to that issue may be combined. The first approach is referential; it begins with the evaluation of texts, works of art, or other aspects of human production that claim to express the meaning and purpose of experience.
We offer a bachelor degree in Theology at Bard College. The second approach is constructive; it involves the investigator in an analysis aimed at evaluating or contributing to religious discourse.
While the critical study of religion is designed to describe and analyze religious systems within their historical settings, theology’s purpose is to engage what these systems claim to refer to. The ethical, political, literary, and cultural are all contexts in which theological elements may be significant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The principal issues of theology demand competence in several disciplines. For that reason, the Theology concentration involves courses from every division and competence (in the form of Moderation) in a discipline. Moderation in Theology is to be associated with Moderation in another discipline or disciplines. By Moderation, a student should have taken three theology courses.
- In addition to the Senior Project, theology students should complete four cross-listed theology courses from at least two divisions. The board for Moderation and the Senior Project must include at least one member of the Theology faculty.
- During the semester of Moderation, students who wish to concentrate in theology are to participate in a seminar, which the concentration coordinator arranges.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 807 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Apply using the Common Application.High School transcript (Include mid-year senior grades if available at the time you apply.)School Report (Form is generally completed by a high school counselor and includes a school profile.)Teacher recommendations (Two are required: We prefer that one recommendation come from an English or humanities instructor and one from a math or science instructor.)
- TOEFL exam or IELTS exam or Duolingo English Test (For English proficiency requirements, see below.) All international applicants who speak a foreign language other than English as their primary language must submit a completed TOEFL exam or IELTS exam or Duolingo English Test.
- Completed Certification of Finances form
International57717 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57717 USD per year during 48 months.
National57717 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57717 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.