The study of languages has become essential to the education of global citizens as the world grows more and more internationally connected, and as nations become increasingly diverse. The ability to communicate effectively with people from different parts of the world not only enhances our capacity to think outside the boundaries of our native culture, but is also a practical skill that can be applied to any career or line of work.
The Department of World Languages and Literatures offers a comprehensive selection of courses in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, as well as courses in the Self-instructional Language Program in Arabic, Hebrew, Korean, Portuguese, and Russian. The department seeks to develop students’ ability to understand, speak, and write the languages of their choice, and to read with appreciation literary and cultural texts in those languages. By discussing written and visual texts, students both enhance their linguistic ability and refine their understanding of cultural traditions and perspectives. Global citizenship goes beyond language proficiency, and for that reason the department’s upper-level courses are designed to deepen the student’s familiarity with the cultures associated with the languages they study.
The department supports academic and extracurricular programs on campus, in the local community, and abroad to enhance understanding of world languages and cultures. Department faculty participate in the college’s interdisciplinary programs such as Asian Studies, International Affairs, Latin American and Latinx Studies, Gender Studies, and Intergroup Relations.
The department is the primary resource for the college’s language requirement. Any three- or four-credit course taken at the appropriate level in a world language (i.e., not in translation) fulfills the language requirement. Additionally, the requirement can be met by taking two two-credit self-instructional courses in the same language.
The mission of the Spanish program from Skidmore College is to develop in the students a cultural competency and language ability that enable them to confidently engage with other cultures and participate fully as global citizens, with knowledge that is transferable to any field they pursue.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Spanish Language and Literature Discussion
- Business Spanish
- Advanced Conversation and Composition
- Literature of the Golden Age
- Spanish Literature of the Twentieth Century
- Contemporary Spanish-American Fiction
- Spanish-American and Latino Performance Arts
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 3031 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Secondary School Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor or school administrator (includes official high school transcript).
- Two academic Teacher Evaluation Reports .
- Midyear Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor or school administrator or school administrator or school administrator
- English Language Proficiency test scores for those for whom English is not their first language.
- English fluency is required of all students as Skidmore's liberal arts curriculum is based heavily on written and oral communication. All students must have the ability to communicate inside and outside the classroom.
- Secondary school and university-level transcripts and recommendations. Those not in English should be accompanied by an English translation.
- $65 application fee (check or credit card accepted).
International58128 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58128 USD per year during 48 months.
National58128 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58128 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Saratoga Springs
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.