The University of Alabama Huntsville prepares students for careers in writing-related fields such as technical writing, publishing, social media consulting, and public relations or graduate studies in rhetoric and composition, communication, creative writing, education, or law.
By combining courses from the English and Communication Arts departments, the Writing major gives students a comprehensive education in writing and rhetorical theory along with the techniques necessary to craft effective documents in multiple genres.
Every student also chooses one of six concentrations: technical and professional writing, creative writing, media writing, rhetoric and composition, public relations, or a customized concentration created by the student in consultation with their advisor.
The major also includes a capstone portfolio that allows students to revise documents that they can show to potential employers or graduate programs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intro to rhetorical communication
- Rhetorical criticism
- Literary criticism & theory
- Classical rhet theory
- Contemporary rhetorical theory
- Academic writing
- Capstone in writing (capstone)
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
UAH suggests that high school students apply during the fall semester of their senior year.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 402 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Completed undergraduate international application form.
- Non-refundable application fee of $60 USD.
- Official copies of secondary school and college or university transcripts including English translations forwarded to The University of Alabama in Huntsville directly from the institution(s) attended or the approved accrediting agency. Personal copies are not accepted. English credits earned at international institutions will be evaluated by the Department of English at UAH after an admission decision is made.
- Certificate of Foreign Credit Evaluation for all high school or college coursework done outside of the U.S. must be performed by an approved service.
International22126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22126 USD per year during 48 months.
National22126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22126 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9730 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Huntsville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.