The Biology program of Loyola Marymount University, designed for students who plan to enter careers in teaching, provides a strong liberal arts core and allows students to pursue course requirements in education during their undergraduate years.
The B.A. in Biology Secondary Science Education Emphasis is designed to prepare students for careers in teaching high school biology. The Secondary Education Emphasis offers classroom experience and internship opportunities in addition to the subject matter content required by the State of California. Pre-professional students should select the program leading to the B.S. degree.
The B.A. in Biology with a Secondary Science Emphasis has been accredited by the State of California. Students who have successfully completed the Single Subject Matter Program in Biology (SSEB) will receive a waiver and do not have to take the CSET (California Subject Examinations for Teachers) exam; completion of the program demonstrates subject matter competency. The program goal is to produce teachers who are confident in their ability to implement the next generation science standards (NGSS), to adapt to future changes, and who have the capacity to teach science as a process of inquiry and excite curiosity in their students. Students who have successfully completed our program should possess the knowledge and expertise that will enable him/her to become a confident, enthusiastic and effective teacher.
Student Learning Outcomes for the B.A. Degree in Biology
Program graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the evolution of biological systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of the structure and function of biological systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of information flow, exchange, and storage in biological systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of pathways and transformations of energy and matter in biological systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of the interconnections and interactions in biological systems
- Be able to apply the scientific method to solve problems in biology
- Effectively communicate biological concepts in written and oral forms
- Have experience using field and laboratory skills
- Apply computational and quantitative methods to describe biological systems
Students completing a B.A. with a Secondary Science Emphasis will also be able to:
- Think logically and critically evaluate new information
- Integrate information from different fields of science
- Synthesize information and communicate ideas to diverse groups of students
- Design lessons that engage students in the process of inquiry (NGSS)
- Connect course content to real life situations and local issues
- Value ongoing assessment and professional development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Biology
- Cell Function
- General Physiology
- Embryology and Development
- Plant Interactions
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Genetics View 2522 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application and LMU Supplement
- International students are not required to submit the SAT or ACT to complete their application to LMU
- Provide Proof of English Proficiency
- Submit Transcripts
- Submit a letter of recommendation with your application
International52553 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52553 USD per year during 48 months.
National52553 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52553 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.