No prior experience is needed to major in Theater and Dance program from Amherst College. The Theater and Dance major provides a college-level interdisciplinary foundation in the arts of performance, while allowing for flexible and progressive study thereafter. New students should take one or more 100-level courses in their first year, and strongly consider participating in a departmental production.
The Theater and Dance major requires successful completion of a minimum of nine and one-half courses as outlined below. Every major completes a senior project, which focuses on a specific area, such as choreography, playwriting, directing, design, dance, acting, or scholarly research, or that integrates two or more of these.
For a handy checklist of requirements and guidelines, see the Major Course Checklist.
If you are considering majoring in Theater and Dance, you should email the department coordinator, Suzie Rivers at firstname.lastname@example.org, and set up a meeting with a faculty member to discuss your interests and options. Major requirements are sequenced, so speaking with us is important, especially if you plan on going abroad, or are considering completing a second major. We are happy to meet with you!
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Language of Movement
- Contemporary Dance Technique: The Influence of Black Artists
- Contemporary Dance Technique: Hip Hop
- Elements of Performance: Perception and Analysis
- Contemporary Fashion in a Historical Perspective
- Scene Design
- Performance Studio
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 980 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
National75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.