The physics and astronomy department is located on the first and second floors of the Merrill Science Center, with faculty labs, machine shops and student lounge on the first floor and classrooms and instruction labs on the second. Faculty and department offices are spread throughout.
The Physics program from Amherst College began in 1821. Experimental physics focusing on low-temperature physics took off in 1952, and has expanded ever since. Our current department faculty are engaged in Experimental Condensed Matter Physics, Experimental Atomic Physics, Laser Spectroscopy, Laser Trapping and Cooling, Bose Einstein Condensation, Precision Tests of Fundamental Symmetries, Particle Physics and High Energy Theory, Experimental Studies in Foundations of Physics, Physics on the Subway, and Experimental Biophysics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physics: Mechanics
- Physics: Electromagnetism and Optics
- The Newtonian Synthesis: Dynamics of Particles and Systems
- Oscillations and Waves
- Modern Physics
- Quantum Information and Quantum Computing
- History of Amherst Astro
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Chemistry Biology View 2522 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
National75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.