Students who complete the Philosophy program at Amherst College will reach a high level of mastery in all these areas. In addition, they:
- will acquire a broad understanding of the work of major figures in the history of philosophy from ancient Greece to the twentieth century;
- will develop a deeper and more detailed understanding of a major historical figure or movement;
- will become conversant with essential questions and ideas in the core areas of philosophy such as: ethics, aesthetics, epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of language;
- will engage intensively with cutting-edge philosophical investigations; and
- will learn basic formal logic and how to apply logical techniques in philosophy and elsewhere.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Philosophical Questions
- Early Modern Philosophy
- Seminar: Speech & Harm
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 885 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
National75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.