Goals for the History Major
Students who complete the History major from Amherst College will be able to
- Think critically about the relationship between historical evidence and arguments.
- Challenge and revise existing narratives of the past, both to comprehend the events they describe and to shed light on society’s evolving needs and concerns.
- Question their own ideas and assumptions, and reflect on the often hidden relationships between ideas and social institutions, and between individuals and their cultures.
- Analyze texts, documents, and oral historical materials, and assess the uses made of these materials by other historians.
- Frame research questions, conduct independent research, and write persuasively.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Race, Empire, and Transnationalism: Chinese Diasporic Communities in the U.S. and the World
- Medieval Europe (1000-1500)
- 20th-Century America
- Middle Eastern History: 500–1600
- Geopolitics and American Foreign Policy
- The Virgin Mary: Image, Cult, Syncretism (ca. 400-1700)
- Race and American Capitalism: From Slavery to Ferguson
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 439 other Bachelors in Ancient History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International76800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 76800 USD per year during 48 months.
National76800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 76800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.