By the time of their graduation, we expect that students who major in English program from Amherst College will have become:
- Adept at reading closely and writing well.
- Skilled at critical writing about works in multiple genres, including both written texts, performances and visual narratives such as film. Some students may choose to create works of their own in verse, prose fiction or other media.
- Attentive to the production of literary culture in a range of historical periods and social contexts.
- Informed about the relationship between literary texts, literary criticism, and theories about cultural production.
- Well versed in the literature associated with at least one specific area of concentration.
- Capable of producing a well-researched long essay and/or completing a sustained creative project.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Engaging Literature: Close Reading
- Arthurian Literature
- Representing Illness
- Amherst Poets
- Black (on) Earth: Introduction to African American Environmental Literature
- Film and Writing
- Storytelling Arts in Mesoamerica
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 1969 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
National75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.