Embracing an interdisciplinary study of language, cultures, histories and political realities
Through the lenses of social history, politics and literary, film and media studies, we seek to understand the past, current state, and emerging realities of the cultures of Latin America, Spain, the Caribbean, and the Latina/o heritage populations within the United States; and their relations with each other and with the wider world.
Through co-curricular activities (e.g. film series, lectures, the mesa de español) we engage with the larger college community. The department also encourages off-campus study and research through study abroad, internships, or and the connections between our faculty members and the large nearby Latina/o communities.
About the department
The Mount Holyoke College Department of Spanish, Latina/o, and Latin American Studies engages in the multidisciplinary study of the past, current state, and emerging realities of societies and cultures of Latin America, Spain, the Caribbean, and the Latina/o heritage populations within the United States and their relations with each other and with the wider world. To that end, our courses adopt a variety of disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches, including literary studies, film and media studies, social history, and politics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Elementary Spanish
- Preparation for Intermediate Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Composition and Culture
- Preparation for Advanced Studies
- Portuguese for Spanish Speakers
- Portuguese for Spanish Speakers - Intermediate
- Identities & Intersections
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 2809 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.