Majors graduate with the tools and enthusiasm needed to conduct philosophical inquiry, a good understanding of important philosophical themes, and strong skills in critical reasoning.
Majors graduate with the tools and enthusiasm needed to conduct:
- a philosophical inquiry
- a good understanding of important philosophical themes
- strong skills in critical reasoning.
Philosophy Learning GoalsMount Holyoke College’s learning goals emphasize skills that promote good citizenship and lifelong learning. At its heart, philosophy is the practice of critical thinking about foundational questions, including moral and political questions about what is a good life and how to be a good citizen. Philosophy is, thus, crucial to realizing Mount Holyoke’s educational mission. This is especially clear with respect to Mount Holyoke’s first learning goal, which says that students should learn to “think analytically and critically by questioning assumptions, evaluating evidence, and articulating well-reasoned arguments.” This is precisely what we learn to do when we learn to do philosophy. The ability to carefully and fairly evaluate arguments is a skill that has value in any situation. As global citizens, over a lifetime of different careers and paths, philosophy equips students with the ability to see the difference between arguments that work and ones that mislead, between sense and nonsense.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Philosophical Foundations of Western Thought: The Greek Period
- Philosophical Foundations of Western Thought: The Modern Period
- Ethics of Career Choice
- Women and Philosophy
- Philosophy of the Arts
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Modern History View 320 other Masters in Modern History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.