Bachelor in Dance from Mount Holyoke College offers a comprehensive curriculum emphasizing technical training, creative experimentation, and critical/theoretical understanding. The department is renowned for its extensive studio offerings in ballet technique, contemporary/modern technique, and repertory/performance, as well as its rotating offerings in West African dance, hip hop, tap, jazz, Indian classical dance, Tango, contact improvisation and musical theatre. Theory courses range from Scientific Foundations in Dance to Studies in Dance History, Analysis of Rhythm and Choreography.
The dance major offers the opportunity to investigate these and other questions through a curriculum of core courses and areas of concentration emphasizing technical training, creative practice and critical/theoretical understanding.
The major is designed to prepare students for dance careers in:
- choreography and performance;
- somatics and arts therapies;
- education and community engagement
- and history
- theory and criticism.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Studies in Dance History
- Scientific Foundations
- Elementary Composition
- Dance and Culture
- Analysis of Rhythm from a Dancer’s Perspective
- Senior Seminar
Choreography and Performance:
- Intermediate Composition
- Repertory and Theory or Classical Ballet Variations
- Advanced Composition
- Rhythmic Analysis II
Dance Science, Somatics and Arts Therapies
- Laban Movement Analysis
- The Sustainable Self: Resources for Body and Mind
- Advanced Scientific Foundations of Dance
- Advanced Studies, Special Topics
History, Theory and Criticism
- Dance Studies
- Writing About Dance
- Advanced Studies: Special Topics
- The Round Table: Research in Dance
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance View 1234 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.