The Film Production comprehensive program offered by Chapman University emphasizes a hands-on, project-based approach in which you will learn all the aspects of film production through the use of our state-of-the-art facilities and best industry practices.
You will receive a solid foundation in all aspects of filmmaking under the guidance of award-winning filmmakers, many of who still work in the industry.
At the end of the sophomore year, you choose an area of specialization in directing, cinematography, editing, sound design or production design. In your junior year, you collaborate on a 10-minute Advanced Production project with students from all the different areas of specialization. Your education culminates in the final year with the creation of a Thesis film that provides you with a professional portfolio piece to serve as a calling card to the industry.
Upon completion of this program you will be able to:
- Exhibit a broad and foundational understanding of the fundamental components of visual storytelling, story structure and story analysis.
- Articulate the essential functions and roles on a film set, and can work collaboratively within that structure.
- Through closely-mentored projects, demonstrate technical proficiency in a specific filmmaking discipline (Directing, Editing, Cinematography, Sound Design, Producing, and Production Design).
- Through critical essays, writing assignments, and visual production exercises, demonstrate an understanding of the development of film language, including aesthetic perspectives.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Write a script
- Direct a scene
- Light and shoot a scene
- Edit picture and sound
- Work on a senior thesis film
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 695 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete and submit The Common App and Chapman University Questions.
- Submit a Teacher Evaluation through via the Common App
- Submit official transcripts
- Submit the School Report form
- Pay the application fee or submit a Fee Waiver Request
- All international applicants must submit an International Supplement Form. This form is available after submitting your application.
International56830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28415 USD per semester during 48 months.
National56830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28415 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.