Students extend beyond the undergraduate classroom as well, more than 80 percent of graduates going on to graduate and professional schools. The fully-accredited Social Work program at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) is responsible for preparing social work professionals in generalist practices that explore every angle of individuals, families, groups, and communities through hands-on field placement and community outreach. With support from our faculty and experience from a wide variety of field placements, many of our alumni work at mental health and addiction agencies, schools, shelters, community-based programs, prisons, and health care and advocacy organizations.
Students enrolling in the Bachelor of Arts program in Social Work at UMBC-Shady Grove will complete approximately 45-60 credits study prior to entry and complete the remainder of their upper-level credits with UMBC-Shady Grove. Students may transfer a maximum of 60 credits from a community college and 90 credits from a four-year school to UMBC. Please visit UMBC’s Social Work Program Student Guide to learn more about the social work curriculum and the field education component of our program.
One unique aspect of the UMBC Social Work Program is the field placement program, which provides an experiential learning opportunity for students to work in a local agency under the supervision of a social worker. The social work degree also provides a pathway to licensure at the bachelor’s level and opportunities for graduate studies with the optional advanced standing that recognizes the successful completion of an undergraduate social work degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social Welfare, Social Policy, and Social Work
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- Human Behavior
- Social Work Research
- Basic Concepts in Sociology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 701 other Bachelors in Social Work in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If you have or are currently earning your high school/secondary school diploma or equivalent but have not earned college credits at the university level AFTER earning your diploma, you should apply to UMBC as a first-year student.
- We weigh a number of factors in making admission decisions. In addition to grade point average and standardized test scores, the strength of your curriculum, class rank, and other achievements as well as your essay will be considered. We expect applicants to have completed a strong college preparatory program of study from an accredited high school/secondary school.
- If you have attended a postsecondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States, submit course by course credentials evaluated through one of the following evaluation services.
- Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
National28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12280 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.