The American Studies from University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) became an independent major during the campus’ founding years, and its first graduates received their degrees at the institution’s initial commencement in the Spring of 1970. Dr. Joel Jones taught an interdisciplinary seminar on American culture in 1967-68. In 1968, Dr. James Arnquist became the second faculty member appointed to the program, and AMST major was launched.
When Jones departed in 1969 to take the position of chairperson at the University of New Mexico, Dr. Ed Orser joined Arnquist on the department’s faculty.
The interdisciplinary nature of the program and the connections it afforded between studying America’s past and present quickly made it a very popular major. Its emphasis on student engagement in the learning process and the development of critical thinking and writing skills became trademarks.
The department’s model has always included a core of interdisciplinary courses which provide an engaging shared experience in cultural study, combined with the selection of special curricular emphasis areas and themes, where students may pursue individual interests though a variety of courses and seminars, independent studies, and internships.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- What is an American?
- Approaches in American Studies
- Senior Seminar
- Sports in American Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 2801 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If you have or are currently earning your high school/secondary school diploma or equivalent but have not earned college credits at the university level AFTER earning your diploma, you should apply to UMBC as a first-year student.
- We weigh a number of factors in making admission decisions. In addition to grade point average and standardized test scores, the strength of your curriculum, class rank, and other achievements as well as your essay will be considered. We expect applicants to have completed a strong college preparatory program of study from an accredited high school/secondary school.
- If you have attended a postsecondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States, submit course by course credentials evaluated through one of the following evaluation services.
- Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
National28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12280 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.