The Commercial Photography program at Appalachian State University specifically covers the elements of photographic theory with an emphasis on practice that prepares students to enter the commercial marketplace and succeed as photographers, videographers, producers, stylists, image retouchers and photo editors, as well as roles in industry sales and support.
Courses provide a solid foundation in commercial digital imaging, digital workflow, studio lighting, small medium, large format cameras and lab/studio management. You will work on assignments in a wide variety of areas including portraiture, fashion, product, catalog, advertising, location lighting, studio lighting, documentary, and HDSLR video production and narrative construction.
You will meet professionals in the field who are important connections for internships. An annual trip to New York City includes visits at magazines such as Martha Stewart and Food Network, commercial studios such as Root/Drive-in Studios and Industria, industry expos like PDN PhotoPlus, and manufactures such as Nikon, Bron and Leica. Students have won numerous awards in national and international photography and video contests, including First place in the Photographer Forums photography contest and Third place in Nikon’s Everyday Cinema contest.
Appalachian is committed to introducing students to different cultures and teaching them how to live and interact in a global society.
The Commercial Photography program runs a summer course trip to Italy, spending three weeks traveling and photographing the country from Tuscany to the Amalfi coast.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Photographic Imaging
- History of Photography
- Form and Media in Photography
- Issues in Contemporary Photography
- Shot of the Day
- Junior Photography Portfolio
- Advanced Digital Photography
- Photographic Studio Management
- Equipment Asset Management
- Advanced Video Production for Photographers
- Fashion and Beauty Portraiture
- Product Photography
- Commercial Photographic Production or
- Photographic Portfolio
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 695 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A complete online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $65 (USD)
- Official high school/secondary school transcript
- Official test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, SAT or ACT)
- Official college transcripts
- Additional information if requested, upon submission of your application, by the Office of Admissions (This may include submitting a Criminal Background Check and Conduct Review as required by the UNC System.)
International19048 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9524 USD per semester during 48 months.
National19048 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9524 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State4242 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2121 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Boone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.