HIM professionals are highly trained in the latest information management technology applications and understand the workflow in any healthcare provider organization from large hospital systems to the private physician practice. They are vital to the daily operations management of health information and electronic health records.
HIM professionals work in a variety of different settings and job titles. They often serve in bridge roles, connecting clinical, operational, and administrative functions. These professionals affect the quality of patient information and patient care at every touch point in the healthcare delivery cycle. Having skilled HIM professionals on staff ensures an organization has the right information on hand when and where it is needed while maintaining the highest standards of data integrity, confidentiality, and security. (Health Information Careers, 2015).
The BS in Health Information Management online degree program at The City University of New York provides students with the most relevant coursework needed and required by today’s health care industry. Students are equipped to develop, implement, and manage health information and data systems for quality care, reimbursement, research, planning, and evaluation.
Career and Academic Prospects
- Health information professionals at all levels of education and credentialing can expect to be in high demand as the health sector continues to expand.
- There are approximately 26,000 new jobs anticipated by 2026, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics cites medical records and health information technicians as one of the 20 fastest growing occupations in the U.S.
- Human Biology
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacology
- Medical Terminology
- Healthcare Delivery Systems
- Health Statistics and Research
- Survey of Clinical Classification Systems
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Health Management Health Informatics View 36 other Bachelors in Biology in United States
- Applicants should have a minimum of 24 earned credits from a regionally accredited institution. Official transcripts from all previous colleges, universities, or proprietary schools you have attended since high school must be submitted, whether or not you intend to request transfer credit.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or better is required for transfer admission to CUNY SPS.
- To gain admission to CUNY SPS, students must satisfy the reading, writing, and mathematics basic skills requirements.
- A personal essay of at least 250 words is part of the application process.
- Unless a currently enrolled CUNY student, to submit your application, you must pay a $70 non-refundable processing fee.
International18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 620 USD per credit during 48 months.
National18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 620 USD per credit during 48 months.
- Full-time $3,465/semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.