Built around the core courses that achieve this goal, the Physics major at the Smith College allows options within the requirements that provide flexibility to students primarily interested in interdisciplinary applications of physics.
The primary areas of knowledge covered by our major are mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics and thermal physics. Students will gain a good introductory knowledge of electronics, special relativity, optics, fluids and error analysis. In addition to these physical topics, our students need to master a variety of mathematical topics required in these fields.
At least as important as disciplinary knowledge are the skills required for a degree in physics. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Good problem-solving technique, including identification of physical principles, good use of diagrams, clear mathematical derivations, proper use of units, and physical analysis and assessment of results.
- Ability to convey knowledge and observations in both oral and written forms.
- Use of computer-based numerical and analytical methods to solve complex physical problems.
- Gain insight through the use of experimental design, instrumentation and methods that reveal signal and reduce noise in messy data.
- Data analysis, including the use of plotting software and basic statistical analysis to draw conclusions and infer significance.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Advanced General Physics
- General Physics
- Mathematical Methods of Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Modern Physics
- Physical Electronics
- Classical Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism
- Thermal Physics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Advanced Physics Lab
- Current Topics in Physics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Applied Mathematics Natural Sciences View 412 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.