Studying the Geosciences program at the Smith College means you’ll learn to the fullest extent possible how the Earth works. You’ll explore multiple disciplines, including geology, biology, chemistry, physics and math. Courses highlight hands-on and discovery-based learning by doing, modern field and laboratory techniques, and interactive student-faculty research experiences.
A degree in geosciences can lead to a variety of rewarding careers that address pressing issues, including climate change, energy and water resources, environmental stewardship and natural hazards.
Geosciences Learning Goals
Graduating geoscience majors:
- Are able to integrate ideas and knowledge from a variety of areas within geosciences and other sciences and programs.
- Can write well and speak clearly and coherently.
- Are able to critically read and understand scientific literature.
- Know how to define and address research problems individually and as part of a team.
- Can collect and properly utilize geological data from the field and laboratory.
- Know how to solve problems using geological data, including specimens and maps.
- Are able to use resources and technology to access, display, and analyze data.
- Can think creatively and reach conclusions based on a limited data-base.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureGeosciences courses highlight:
- hands-on, discovery-based learning by doing substantial field-based geological inquiry
- modern field and laboratory techniques
- the use of specialized equipment
- interactive student-faculty research experiences
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 486 other Masters in Geology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.