The French Studies program at the Smith College is using authentic cultural materials: French films and series, songs, video clips, internet resources, news reporting, televised versions of round-table discussions, intellectual exchanges and documentary reporting.
Students learn how the French agree and disagree with one another, converse, argue and attempt to persuade each other. Interactive multimedia exercises, games, role playing, discussions and debates, presenting formal exposés and improving pronunciation. Prerequisite: 230, or permission of the instructor.
French Learning Goals
- As students learn and master the French language, they gain the ability to listen and speak articulately; read and analyze texts, cultural artifacts and digital media critically; and write clearly.
- As they explore French and Francophone cultures, society, history, institutions and thought, they develop historical and comparative depth of perspective.
- As they take courses in other departments and/or programs, they build an interdisciplinary framework to develop a comprehensive and nuanced understanding of the French and Francophone world.
- As they engage with communities beyond Smith through study, internships, volunteer and other work opportunities abroad, they become global citizens who value tolerance, appreciate diversity and thereby become prepared to face the challenges of living in a rapidly changing world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Accelerated Beginning French
- Intermediate French
- High Intermediate French
- Speaking (Like the) French: Conversing, Discussing, Debating, Arguing
- Language and Identity
- Advanced Studies in Language
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 1873 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.