It is designed to give students a broad view of dance in preparation for a professional career or further study. Students are exposed to courses in dance history and culture, creative and aesthetic studies, scientific aspects of dance, the language of movement, and dance technique and performance.
A dancer's instrument is her body and it must be trained consistently: at least five dance technique courses are required for the B.A. in Dance at the Smith College (ten are allowed for credit toward the GPA). Students should reach intermediate or advanced level in at least one form. A single level of technique courses may be taken for credit up to three semesters. Advanced technique courses (Levels V and VI) require a placement exam.
- The major is designed to instill a broad view of dance in preparation for a professional career or further study while promoting liberal arts learning capacities. Students complete courses in dance history; anthropology and aesthetics; composition and creative process; kinesiological and somatic aspects of dance; dance production; and dance technique, movement vocabulary and performance.
- A dancer’s instrument is her body and it must be trained consistently; technique courses are therefore a core component of the curriculum.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Dance Composition
- Dance in the 20th Century
- Scientific Foundations of Dance
- Dance and Culture
- Analysis of Music from a Dancer's Perspective
- Dance Production
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 1234 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.