About this Degree at the University of Notre Dame
In an integrated curriculum composed of small discussion-based Seminars and Tutorials spanning the arts, history, literature, natural science, philosophy, politics, and theology, students and professors join a vital conversation about what it means to be human.
While some students complement their Program of Liberal Studies coursework with a variety of electives, others delve more deeply into specific areas through a second major or minor. Many of our students study abroad, and all take advantage of the range of extracurricular opportunities available to students at Notre Dame. Although all of the courses in the Program are required, our Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Eric Bugyis, will work with you to create a personalized course plan that can accommodate your interests beyond PLS.
Why Choose PLS?PLS alumnus Corey Robinson '17 said of majoring in PLS, “It was everything I wanted in one major, and it was the best decision of my life.” Learn more about Corey.
Are you interested in everything? Do you always have a book in your bag (or two, or three)? Do you love having wide-ranging discussions with your friends that jump from deep questions of human meaning to the mysteries of the natural world to the urgent issues facing contemporary society?
Do you hate it when people tell you that you have to choose just one major (or just two; ok, and maybe a minor)? Do you want your education to be personally transformative, while also preparing you for whatever profession you happen to be passionate about upon graduation? Look no further.
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Science & Technology
- Writing & Rhetoric
- Moreau Seminar
- Great Books Seminar
- Political and Social Theory
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics Liberal Arts View 2058 other Bachelors in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The Notre Dame Writing Supplement via the Common Application or Coalition Application.
- Optional: Results of your ACT or SAT assessment scores - Notre Dame is test-optional for 2022 and 2023 application cycles. S
- Official results of the TOEFL, IELTS, DET, or PTE Academic, if applicable
- Official high school transcripts or record of academic achievement in secondary school
- A letter of evaluation from a high school teacher in a core academic subject area who knows you well
- Counselor evaluation (recommended, not required)
- A completed Certification of Finances plus financial documentation (see below) verifying the totals on the Certification of Finances submitted via your applicant status portal
- A copy of your passport submitted via your applicant status portal
- If applying for need-based financial aid, a completed CSS Profile
International58843 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58843 USD per year during 48 months.
National58843 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58843 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for South Bend
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.