Each year, students in the Composition program at Southern Methodist University are expected to organize at least one performance of an original work (completed in their studies), such as a film score, incidental music, a dance collaboration, or an electronic music installation, in a studio recital or another appropriate venue.
The Division of Music at SMU is internationally recognized for its award-winning students, renowned performing ensembles and distinguished faculty of performers, composers and scholars – including renowned violinist Emanuel Borok, cellist Andrés Díaz, pianist Joaquín Achúcarro, classical guitarist Robert Guthrie and members of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Students interact with an extensive slate of guest performers, conductors, composers and scholars.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Pathways: Exploring Meadows and Your Future
- Music Engagement
- Introduction to Composition Studies
- Form and Analysis
- Analysis of Contemporary Music
- Introduction to Electro-Acoustic Music
- Advanced Orchestration
- Survey of Counterpoint
- Private Composition
- Composition Seminar
- Introduction to Music in History and Culture
- Survey of Music History
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 2108 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application
- Completed Early Decision Agreement Form (if applying Early Decision)
- $60 nonrefundable application fee
- Official high school transcript
- SMU Financial Statement form (for non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents). This form will be available in the applicant's admission portal once their application has been submitted.
- Official TOEFL scores
International51598 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51598 USD per year during 48 months.
National51598 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51598 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.