Immerse yourself in the world of art and visual culture as you study European, North American, Latin American, and Asian art and themes by taking the Art History program from Syracuse University. Examine the historical roots of art, encompassing everything from ancient and Italian Renaissance up to modern art.
On campus, you can volunteer at Syracuse’s Special Collections Research Center and SUArt Galleries, and in the surrounding community you can explore museums and art galleries. During your senior year, you’ll complete a seminar exploring the practical application of an art history major, with a focus on careers, professional research, and writing.
The research and teaching specialties of the art history faculty include Greek art, medieval art and architecture, Italian Renaissance art, 17th-century Dutch painting, 19th- and 20th-century European art, American and Native American art, Indian art and architecture, Medievalism, and History of Photography.
Studies in the history of architecture are offered in association with the faculty of the School of Architecture (see program description under “History of Architecture” in this section of the catalog). Cooperative programs with the College of Visual and Performing Arts, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, and other divisions of the University allow students to take courses in studio art, and public communications.
Students who major in one of the department’s disciplines are strongly encouraged to take a foreign language and to study abroad.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify, explain, and analyze works of art from both western and non-western societies from different eras
- Recognize and explain the relationship of artistic styles to historical events and intellectual trends
- Analyze and apply central issues and scholarly methodologies in our fields
- Express ideas clearly through oral presentations
- Formulate a thesis topic, synthesize and appraise scholarly information that pertains to that topic, and express ideas clearly through writing
- Present themselves professionally
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Romanesque Art
- City in Architectural History: Rio de Janeiro
- Renaissance Art and Medicine
- Baroque Art in Northern Europe
- 19th Century American Art
- Music and Arts Leadership
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 844 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete the Online Common Application
- Pay the application Fee ($85)
- Submit your official academic credentials
- Submit two academic recommendations
- TOEFL or IELTS required (if English is not your native language)
- Complete and submit a Visa Information Form
- Check to see if your college requires any additional materials
- Submit SAT/ACT scores (Optional)
- Review all Visa and immigration information.
International54270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54270 USD per year during 48 months.
National54270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54270 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.