Theater is a form of human expression, shaped by social, economic, technological, personal, and artistic forces. Duke University's Department of Theater Studies combines scholarly theater research with productions of plays both old and new, from all over the world and the creation and development of new performance works. We offer students unique opportunities to study and interpret the rich world of drama, with specializations in critical studies in theater and performance, dramatic writing, acting, design, dramaturgy and directing. We create enlightened artists and scholars who approach theater as both an art and a discipline for exploring and expressing the concerns and hopes of our human communities.
At Duke University, you can major or minor in theater studies. Courses of this Bachelor in Theater Studies programme are designed to encourage problem solving in collaboration with others, developing skills in critical thinking, and communicating effectively with language, physical expression, and visual images. This focus on the development of artistic and intellectual skills, through study and production experience, helps prepare students for careers in the professional theater and in a variety of other fields.
Theater Studies faculty are scholars in dramatic literature, theory, or theater history, or they are theater professionals in acting, administration, design, directing, and playwriting. Classes are small, insuring a high level of interaction between students and faculty. Visiting artists and playwrights infuse our program with fresh takes on the entertainment business.
A major area of interest among faculty members is the development of new theater, both student and professional. You will be encouraged to write plays, and new writing by Duke University students is presented annually. This is complemented by professional productions hosted by Theater Studies and workshops of new plays, during which the playwright is in residence. These professional projects offer you the opportunity to intern and learn from visiting artists and practitioners.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Communication, Improvisation, and Business
- Let's Dance! Live Art and Performance
- The Theater Today
- Duke Administered Study Abroad: Special Topics in Theater Studies
- Special Topics in Reading Theater
- Special Topics in Theater Studies
- The Art of Transformation: A Workshop in Movement and Theater
- Sport As Performance
- Performance and Social Change
- Radio: The Theater of the Mind
- Contemporary Performance
- Dramatic Forms of Musical Theater
- The Great American Musical
- Musical Theater Workshop: Performance
- The Arts in New York: A Thematic Approach
- Internship in New York
- The Business of City Life
- Entrepreneurship and International Arts Management
- The Economics of Art (The Chicago Scene)
- Acting French
- Drama of Greece and Rome
- Asian American Theatre
- Dance and Dance Theater of Asia
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 1235 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts for all academic work completed in high school are required and must be submitted by your school counselor or another school official
- All applicants must complete either the ACT or SAT
- If you are a non-native English speaker or if you are not currently studying in an English-medium curriculum, we recommend but do not require that you take an English proficiency test (DUOLINGO, IELTS, PTE, TOEFL)
- A one-page personal essay as well as short essay questions specific to Duke
- We require three letters of recommendation for each applicant: one from your school counselor and two from teachers who have taught you in major academic courses (English, mathematics, social studies, sciences, foreign languages)
- A nonrefundable $85 application fee
- To obtain an F-1 visa for study in the United States, a foreign citizen must furnish his or her home country’s U.S. consulate with proof of ability to meet educational expenses, along with the I-20 form.
International57934 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57934 USD per year during 48 months.
National57934 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57934 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Durham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.