Core courses provide depth within the broad field of biomedical engineering. These are integrated with, and rely upon, course offerings from both the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the College of Arts and Sciences. To achieve the breadth of engineering experience expected of Biomedical Engineering graduates, additional elective courses from the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences are required of all Biomedical Engineering students.
The Department also offers a five-year accelerated B.E./M.S. degree, which can be completed within one additional year of studies beyond the Bachelor's degree.
The accelerated B.E./M.S. is intended to prepare high-achieving and highly-motivated undergraduate BME students for either doctoral studies or a variety of advanced professional positions. The program is highly selective with admission based on academic performance as well as undergraduate research. Juniors can be admitted into the accelerated degree program if they satisfy the requirements outlined in the Graduate Bulletin. The requirements for the accelerated program are the same as the requirements for the B.E. and M.S. degree, except that two graduate 500-level courses replace two 300-level electives, so that six graduate credits are counted toward the undergraduate degree.
Graduates are prepared for entry into professions in biomedical engineering, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and medical technology, as well as careers in academia and government. Potential employers include colleges and universities, hospitals, government, research institutes and laboratories, and private industry.
Program Educational Objectives
The undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering at Stony Brook University has the following four specific program educationalobjectives:
- Our graduates will apply skills and insight gained from a curriculum integrating engineering and biology to biomedically related fields in sectors including academia, industry, medicine, law, and/or government.
- Our graduates will strive to become inspirational leaders who make socially and ethically responsible decisions that beneficially impact health and society from local communities to the global population.
- Our graduates will use scientific research and collaborations to develop biomedical technologies that can be translated into cost-effective clinical solutions to enhance diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of health issues.
- Our graduates will remain lifelong learners, continue to grow professionally and personally throughout their careers, and be partners to grow future generations of biomedical engineers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
- Programming Fundamentals in Biomedical Engineering
- Bioengineering in Extreme Environments
- Biomedical Engineering Research Fundamentals
- Statics and Dynamics in Biological Systems
- Genetic Engineering
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Bioinformatics View 193 other Masters in Biomedicine in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If you are a freshman applicant, you must have completed the highest level of secondary education in your country of residence. We look for a strong secondary academic program with courses in math, natural sciences, and English (or, if English is the language of instruction, another language).
- If you have attended any college or university after graduating from secondary school you must apply as a transfer student. Applicants are required to have performed well in a strong academic program, having completed at least 24 credits with a GPA of 3.0 or higher by the time they submit their application. If the applicant has earned fewer than 24 credits, high school transcripts must also be submitted.
International24940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24940 USD per year during 48 months.
National24940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24940 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State7270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7270 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.