We also encourage all undergraduates to incorporate the discipline of historical thinking into their liberal arts education. In all courses, students are taught the kinds of skills that will help them succeed both in classes at WashU and in their post-graduate careers. History students learn to read carefully, think critically, research honestly, and present information and ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
The History major is structured to be flexible, and encourages students both to pursue established interests and to explore topics, time periods, and locales that may be less familiar.
A major in History can be a preparation for a variety of careers. While some students choose to major in history to help them prepare for teaching middle or high school, history or social sciences or to participate in Teach for America, a history major isn't just for teachers. And although a few history majors intend to pursue a Master's or PhD in order to seek employment in colleges and universities, keep in mind that there are many different paths you can take with your history degree.
- In the History program at Washington University in St. Louis we offer a wide variety of courses, ranging from the ancient world to the present, and across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas.
- There are many opportunities for small-group learning and discussion, in freshman seminars, sophomore honors colloquium, writing-intensive seminars, and advanced seminars.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 2306 other Bachelors in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- School Report and Official Transcript
- Teacher Evaluation
- Counselor Recommendation
- Self-reported or official SAT or ACT scores. See our one-year test optional policy for applicants in 2021.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test for students whose first language is not English
- Portfolio (required for students applying to the College of Art, strongly encouraged for students applying to the College of Architecture.) The portfolio should be submitted using SlideRoom.
International59420 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59420 USD per year during 48 months.
National59420 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59420 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Saint Louis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.