Courses address fundamental questions about topics such as the status of literature within culture, the literary history of a period, the achievements of a major author, the defining characteristics of a genre, the politics of interpretation, the formal beauties of individual works, and the methods of literary scholarship and research.
- The study of English may be pursued as preparation for graduate work in literature or other disciplines, or as a complement to general education. Students in the English Language and Literature program at University of Chicago learn how to ask probing questions of a large body of material; how to formulate, analyze, and judge questions and their answers; and how to present both questions and answers in clear, cogent prose.
- The Autumn Quarter study abroad program in London offers the opportunity to study British literature and history in the cultural and political capital of England. The program includes a number of field trips (e.g., Bath, Canterbury, and Cambridge).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Gender and Sexuality
- Gender and Work: Theories and Representations
- History of the Novel
- Revising the Romance
- Seventeenth Century Verse
- Advanced Fiction: Exploring Your Boundaries
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 2835 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application for Admission and Supplement Essays
- Application Fee or Automatic Fee Waiver
- Secondary School Report and Transcript
- Two Teacher Evaluations
- Midyear Report
International59256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59256 USD per year during 48 months.
National59256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 59256 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.