The BSc in Astrophysics (Hons) at the University of St Andrews is approximately half core physics and maths, and approximately half astrophysics. It gives you competencies that are useful in a wide range of careers in physics-based industry, in further study and research in astrophysics, in analysing “big data”, and more generally in areas such as finance and management.
The BSc in Astrophysics is a four-year course (three years for those taking direct entry to second year) run by the School of Physics and Astronomy. During your degree, you will explore the science of the Universe, from extrasolar planets to cosmology.
Graduates in Astrophysics have developed important skills in critical analysis, problem-solving, mathematical and computational modelling, communication, designing experiments, making accurate measurements and analysing results that make them well qualified for a career in science and in various areas outside science such as the financial services.
At the end of your degree, you will be equipped with the following skills that are valued in a wide range of occupations:
- ability to determine what information is needed to solve a problem, and a knowledge of where to find or generate such information
- applicable mathematical and computational techniques and where to use them
- knowledge and understanding of fundamental physical laws and principles
- ability to analyse data and evaluate the level of uncertainty in results
- identification of relevant principles and laws of physics when dealing with problems
- communication skills including the ability to present complex information clearly and concisely.
- Computational astrophysics
- Observational astrophysics
- Extragalactic astronomy
- The physics of nebulae and stars
- Atomic, nuclear, and particle physics
- Thermal and statistical physics
- Quantum mechanics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Application deadline - 29 January for UK students
DisciplinesGeography Astronomy & Space Sciences Natural Sciences View 146 other Bachelors in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- AAAA including Physics and Mathematics
- AAA including Physics and Mathematics
- 38 including HL6 in Physics and HL6 in Mathematics
International25100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25100 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.