The Classics program of the department at Columbia University aims for a comprehensive understanding of classical literature and culture, and the mastery of Greek and Latin on which such understanding depends.
- Through a joint program with Barnard, the department offers a broad range of subjects. The department annually offers four advanced courses in each language (at the 3000- or 4000- level), the content of which changes each year in order to provide a curricular range and to balance authors and genres over a two-year period.
- Opportunities for individual projects of reading and research are available. Students are also permitted to take graduate courses if they are sufficiently prepared. Additionally, they can supplement their studies within the department through work in other departments, such as art history and archaeology, history, philosophy, and the other departments of languages and literature.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Latin
- Intensive Elementary Latin
- Augustan Poetry
- Medieval Language and Literature
- Poetry as Neurosis: Lucan’s Bellum Civile
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages General Studies & Classics Linguistics View 2315 other Bachelors in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Autobiographical information
- Lists and descriptions of a student’s achievements, activities, employment and summer activities
- Personal essay
- An official high school transcript from all high schools attended
- One high school counselor’s recommendation and school profile
- The completed Mid-Year Report
- SAT or ACT
- Applicants may self-report their scores
- English proficiency examination score (if necessary)
- These recommendations must come from teachers who taught you in academic disciplines
- For engineering applicants, one must come from a math or science teacher
International60098 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30049 USD per semester during 48 months.
National60098 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30049 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.