A major or minor in Latin American and Latino Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago can serve as a useful basis for careers in public service, business, professional, or academic life related to Latin America or U.S. Latinos.
Courses for the major and minor cover Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America as well as urbanization and social and political processes among Latino groups in Chicago and throughout the United States. Comparative and diverse developmental perspectives illuminate linkages among the countries and peoples of the Americas.
Requirements are designed so that students acquire a general background in both Latin American and Latino studies in the lower-division courses. Students have the option to pursue a general curriculum by taking an equal amount of upper-division courses in Latin American and Latino Studies or to pursue an area of specialization in either Latin American or Latino Studies by taking more upper-division courses in one of the two areas. Students may also choose to take courses in a particular disciplinary area of the humanities (history and cultural studies) or the social sciences (anthropology, political science, sociology) or a combination of these areas. Students are strongly encouraged to take at least one course on Mexico.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Topics in Latino Studies
- Topics in Latin American Studies
- Research Methods in Latin America and Latino Studies
- Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish for Bilinguals
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 1884 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete and submit the Common Application Online along with the UIC section. Printed applications will not be accepted.
- Submit the $60 nonrefundable application fee or, if qualified, select an application waiver.
- Current high school students must submit an official high school transcript using the Recommender process within the Common Application School Form.
- Complete the American College Test (ACT) or the College Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT-R). ACT and SAT test scores may be submitted electronically via the testing service or printed on official transcripts.
International31784 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31784 USD per year during 48 months.
National29888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29888 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State15538 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15538 USD per year during 48 months.
Estimated Tuition & Fees
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.