At Connecticut College, the study of Linguistics consists of an interdisciplinary program that focuses on the structure, the social function and the historical development of language. The minor is a natural complement to any major in which the nature of language is pertinent.
Why Linguistics?Linguistics is a discipline ingeniously crouched in the crossroads between humanities and social sciences—you assemble communicative signs and signals as products of human culture and proceed to examine them using scientific methods. It awakens in you the curiosity to look into words and phrases conveyed through the audio-oral channel or in writing, and supplies you with an analytical framework or a schema to make sense of them. You will see your understanding of an ordinary language activity broadened and deepened, generalized and abstracted, and eventually probed in domains ranging from phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics—the “microscopic” fields—to “macroscopic” ones that include sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, and cultural, historical and computational linguistics. You start from the most taken-for-granted, day-to-day experiences, and witness the unanticipated emerging from there! This is Linguistics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language in culture
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 1951 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application
- School report: includes (1) college counselor recommendation, (2) official secondary school transcript with first term (quarter or trimester) grades for the current academic year and (3) mid-year report with updated grades as soon as they are available
- Two academic teacher recommendations (preferably from junior or senior year)
- Common Application Early Decision Agreement Form for EDI & EDII applicants (signed by ED applicant, college counselor and parent or legal guardian) submitted via your Common Application account
- If English is not your native language: the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE is required.
- All non-US citizens must submit a Certification of Finances for International Students (pdf)
International75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.