The Bachelor in Environmental Engineering program at Duke University responds to the needs of students looking for such an interdisciplinary engineering degree that prepares them to work as environmental engineers, graduate work in environmental engineering, or for advanced study in environmental law, medicine, public health, or global sanitation.
The alumni of the Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering programs at Duke University are expected to exhibit the following behaviors:
- Conceive, communicate, and contribute to effective and sustainable solutions to professional, multi-disciplinary challenges (in, for example, engineering design, project management, consulting, finance, and academia) by utilizing fundamental principles of mathematics, science, and engineering, and employing engineering methods and judgment as needed;
- Seek and engage in professional development, including advanced degrees and professional licensure, to enhance their capabilities and personal fulfillment;
- Be leaders in their professional and personal communities while responding ethically and boldly when confronted with modern societal and environmental challenges.
Students will have the following capabilities upon completion of their degree:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- Mechanics of Solids
- Engineering Communication
- Practical Methods in Civil Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Soil Mechanics
- Chemical Principles in Environmental Engineering
- Biological Principles in Environmental Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Integrated Environmental Design
- Environmental Transport Phenomena
- Probability and Statistics in Engineering
- Unit Operation and Design Elective
- Transport Elective
- Environmental Science Elective
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction View 331 other Bachelors in Environmental Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts for all academic work completed in high school are required and must be submitted by your school counselor or another school official
- All applicants must complete either the ACT or SAT
- If you are a non-native English speaker or if you are not currently studying in an English-medium curriculum, we recommend but do not require that you take an English proficiency test (DUOLINGO, IELTS, PTE, TOEFL)
- A one-page personal essay as well as short essay questions specific to Duke
- We require three letters of recommendation for each applicant: one from your school counselor and two from teachers who have taught you in major academic courses (English, mathematics, social studies, sciences, foreign languages)
- A nonrefundable $85 application fee
- To obtain an F-1 visa for study in the United States, a foreign citizen must furnish his or her home country’s U.S. consulate with proof of ability to meet educational expenses, along with the I-20 form.
International62941 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62941 USD per year during 48 months.
National62941 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62941 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Durham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.