A writing major at Houghton provides you with the skills and training for a variety of careers, from journalism and advertising to publishing and business.
Articulate your perspectives and offer new insights through the written word. Explore classes on writing for film and television, social issues/global engagement, and fiction. Share your spiritual experience through poetry, engage in current issues through opinion writing and prepare for writing in the professional realms and journalism.
The writing major works well as a double major with communications, giving students a broad set of marketable skills and opportunities to explore their creative gifts. Students serve as (paid!) consultants in the Writing Center, write and edit for the Houghton Star student newspaper and Lanthorn literary magazine, and intern with the Office of Marketing and Communications to produce press releases and other content.
Why Major in Writing at Houghton College?
- Join a community of creative people, and work alongside fellow students and faculty members as you reflect on language’s role in history, culture and faith.
- Explore the human condition, brokenness and redemption as manifested through the literature and writing arts.
- Engage consciously, creatively and intuitively with authors who share in the human experience, and be challenged to better understand others.
- Address the need for critical thinkers with the ability to problem-solve while responding with sensitivity and treating each life story as unique and important.
- Small class sizes (usually 15 or fewer) allow you to interact on a personal level and do a significant amount of meeting one-on-one with professors and peers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Literary Non-Fiction
- Narrative and Personal Essay
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 396 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.